1. I’ll answer your first question right away: Elena has big moments with both Stefan (Paul Wesley) and Damon — and although our little doppelganger definitely leans more heavily towards one brother, I think there’s enough in the premiere for both ships to enjoy.
2. There’s a very special surprise guest star, and long-time fans of the show will love seeing him/her/it again.
3. Both of the Salvatore brothers have epic, single-tear moments.
4. Damon’s pretty angry about a lot of things, and he takes his frustration out on everyone — including Elena.
5. I think you’ll be really impressed by Michael Trevino as Klaus. His portrayal is equal parts chilling, sexy and unpredictable.
6. As I say every fall, Jeremy (Steven R. McQueen) has once again aged like a fine wine — and he clearly spent his entire hiatus at the gym.
7. The premiere sees a major power shift in Mystic Falls’ government.
8. “Tyler” forces Bonnie (Kat Graham) to make a dark, life-or-death decision — and oh yes, there will be consequences.
9. Matt (Zach Roerig) is given a chance to “prove” just how badly he feels about Elena’s death.
10. There’s a fleeting moment of Barbie bonding between Caroline (Candice Accola) and Rebekah (Claire Holt) — but it’s not long before Becks goes back to being a total bitch.
11. Elena gets the award for the biggest understatement of the hour: “Everything’s about to change.”
12. The ending is nothing short of explosive.